When you make Sauerkraut yourself or buy the unpasteurised stuff from a health food store it is packed full of probiotics. To name just a few: Lactobacillus acidophilus, L. bulgaricus, L. plantarum, L. caret, L. pentoaceticus, L brevis and L. thermophiles. It is also thought to be full of vitamin C, help the fight against cancer, be a great treatment towards peptic ulcers, be packed full of essential enzymes and helps balance the flora of the gut, thus helping symptoms of IBS, leaky gut, food intolerances and even some auto-immune diseases.
It is super easy and cheap to make your own sauerkraut and it tastes delicious also!
1 medium cabbage
1 tbsp sea salt
1 tbsp caraway, coriander or fennel seeds
3 tbsp grated ginger (I highly recommend this addition)
2/3 cup grated carrot
1. Remove outer leaves from the cabbage and set aside.
2. Shred cabbage, carrots and ginger (if you’re adding these).
3. In a bowl, mix the shredded items with seeds (if you’re adding these) and sea salt. Then massage together or pound down with a mallet or the end of a rolling pin for 10 mins.
4. Once the juices have been released place into a wide mouth jar and continue to pound down until juices come up and cover the cabbage (if this does not happen then added a little lightly salted water until it covers the cabbage well, (leave 2 inches of space at the top).
5. Place a whole cabbage leaf over the top of the cabbage to make sure no air can get to the shredded cabbage underneath. If not then use some a clean weight of some sort to weigh the cabbage down, add lid.
6. Leave in a dark spot at room temperature for around a month. You can eat it after 3 days, but it’s much tastier and has more probiotics in it if left longer. Transfer to fridge once you open it or after a month or two.
If you leave it for more than a couple of weeks you may want to ‘burp’ it (open the lid a little) to release the build up of pressure from within the jar.
Sauerkraut can be added to the side of most meals or even added to smoothies for a probiotic boost, but don’t heat it as you will lose most of the goodness!
Now enjoy! =)